Renowned Indian actor and entertainer, Akshay Kumar, has recently broken the world record for the highest number of selfies taken in three minutes.
The previous record of 168 was held by James Smith of the UK. Notably, past record-holders include Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, singer Donnie Wahlberg, and ex-footballer Alan Shearer.
The Guinness World Record was broken by Kumar, who snapped a total of 184 selfies. The successful attempt was made at Mehboob Studios in Mumbai, where over 240 fans gathered to share the special moment with their beloved superstar.
“It was an excited crowd for sure,” said GWR Official Adjudicator Swapnil Dangarikar.
- Sporting a bright orange jumpsuit, Akshay, 55, stood in between the two lines his fans had formed, ready to snap as many selfies as possible.
- One-by-one, Akshay’s fans approached from alternating sides, quickly moving into frame before ducking back out.
- Akshay took 209 photos during the three minutes, however, some were disqualified due to blurred faces.
- As per the record’s rules, all selfies must be in focus and sufficiently bright enough so that the person appearing in the picture can be recognised and identified as a unique participant.
- Despite the 25 discounted selfies, Akshay was easily able to break the record due to his smart strategy. He managed to take 79 more than The Rock did!
- Speaking to Adjudicator Swapnil afterwards, Akshay said he would like to have a go at breaking some fitness records in the future.
- He’s particularly keen on achieving a push-up record, but he’s also up for something a bit more extreme, like hanging from a helicopter.
“Everything I have achieved and where I am in life is due to the unconditional love of my fans,” Akshay posted on his Instagram after the attempt.
“This is my special tribute to them, acknowledging how they have stood by me throughout my career.”
Akshay attempted this record to promote his upcoming film Selfiee, which hits cinemas on 24 February.
Directed by Raj Mehta, Selfiee is a Hindi-language remake of the Malayalam comedy-drama Driving Licence (2019).
The film also stars Emraan Hashmi, Diana Penty, and Nushrratt Bharuccha in lead roles.