New Delhi-based Barista has strengthened its position as Sri Lanka’s largest coffee chain after opening its 19th store on the island, and is seeking to open another 30 outlets over the next 12 months
Indian coffee chain Barista has continued its expansion across Sri Lanka, opening its 19th store and targeting 50 locations by 2024.
The New Delhi-based company, which operates more than 350 stores in India, opened the store at the UNESCO World Heritage site Galle Dutch Fort in the Bay of Galle.
Barista, which launched in Sri Lanka in 2002, said it is continuing to strategically expand its footprint across the country and is set to reach at least 50 stores by 2024.
Barista is the largest coffee chain in Sri Lanka, ahead of Java Lounge which operates nine outlets.
The company has operated under several owners since its founding in New Delhi, India, in February 2000.
Tata Coffee acquired a 35% equity stake in the company in 2001, with Sterling Infotech Group acquiring the remaining 65% in 2004. The Chennai-based investment company later purchased Tata Coffee’s stake before selling the company to Italian coffee roaster and café chain Lavazza in 2007.
Lavazza sold Barista to Boutonniere Hospitality Private Limited in 2014, but continues to be the coffee chain’s coffee supplier via its Fresh and Honest roastery.
Boutonniere Hospitality is seeking to increase Barista’s footprint to 1,000 stores globally by 2025.