The sub-committee of the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA) focused on the preparation of a joint plan to train workers with the aim of providing quality workers to the foreign job market.
This was discussed in the COPA sub-committee to review the training program prepared by the inter-ministerial committee regarding the referral of quality and skilled migrant workers for foreign jobs, which met in Parliament recently (Jan. 19), under the chairmanship of the Member of Parliament Hon. Dr. (Mrs) Sudarshini Fernandopulle.
Officials representing the Ministry of Public Administration, Home Affairs, Provincial Councils and Local Government, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Labor and Foreign Employment, Ministry of Health and Ministry of Foreign Affairs participated in this committee.
- Focusing on the progress of a recommendation to prepare a joint plan by all ministries to train quality workers for the foreign job market
- Commenting on the preparation of training programs by the Ministry of Labor and Foreign Employment
- Initiating training and campaigns from a rural level
- Discussing the need for implementing the National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) in Sri Lanka
- Paying attention to strict monitoring of the licenses of foreign employment agencies registered under the Foreign Employment Bureau
- Discussing the discipline of skilled workers who wish to go abroad
Hon. Sudarshini Fernandopulle, mentioned that support of the Parliament, will be provided through the intervention of this committee regarding the training of workers going abroad. Therefore, she also pointed out the need to speed up the necessary work in this regard.