Monday (23), Senior Advisor to the President on Food Security Dr Suren Batagoda chaired a discussion at the President’s Media Centre on the issues related to the chicken and egg industry.
All parties are placing emphasis on the need to come to a collective agreement for the advancement of the poultry and egg production industry.
- The shortage of animal feed, rising prices of raw materials, fuel crisis, transport issues, foreign exchange issues for importing animal feed etc. and the available solutions to address these issues were focussed on during the discussion. Those involved in the poultry and egg production industry and officials of related line institutions participated in this meeting.
- Dr Suren Batagoda pointed out that most of the issues related to the industry could be solved by way of coming to a collective agreement among all the stakeholders and by determining the prices of egg and poultry products accordingly.
- He further said that the President intends to turn the poultry and egg industry into an export industry and that all those involved in the industry should work collectively for the advancement of the industry.
- The Chairman of the Egg Trade Association, the Chairman of the Restaurant Owners Association, the Chairman of the All Ceylon Egg Production Association and the Chairman of the National Farmer Association Board also presented issues affecting the industry as well as probable solutions to them.
- The willingness to reach a collective agreement for the advancement of the poultry and egg industry was a special feature of the discussion while the intervention made by the President’s Office for the security of the industry was also appreciated.
Agriculture Ministry Secretary Gunadasa Samarasinghe, Trade, Commerce and Food Security Ministry Secretary A.M.P.M.B. Atapattu and officials of line institutions were present at this discussion. – PMD