The Ministry of Education has started to limit the maximum distance that students can travel on educational trips. This is as a result of an accident that occurred when a bus carrying students from Thurstan College in Colombo was involved in an accident.
- Maximum distance students can be taken on trips on a day to be limited to 100 kilometers
- Students must be brought back to the respective school before 6 pm
- More attention to be paid to the areas selected for educational trips
- Circular containing new instructions to be issued to all schools and education authorities immediately
- Steps to be taken to prevent accidents like the one on the Radella Short Cut Road in Nuwara Eliya
Yesterday, Education Minister Susil Premajayantha visited the Nuwara Eliya hospital to look into the wellbeing of the students who were hurt in an accident.