Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has issued an extraordinary gazette notification proscribing 11 extremist organizations in Sri Lanka, including the Islamic State (ISIS) and Al Qaeda under the Prevention of Terrorism Act.
The gazette notification says the Government of Sri Lanka proscribed the 11 extremist organizations “in good faith for the purpose of ensuring the continuance of peace within the country and in the interest of national security, public order, and the rule of law.”
Obtaining membership, dealing with their members, promoting such organizations, providing refuge for members, donating money or material, or engaging in any transaction are prohibited. Anyone violating these regulations could face up to 10 to 20 years in prison.
The Extraordinary Gazette Notification states that the movable or immovable property of the members of such organizations could also be confiscated.
The proscribed organizations are:
1. United Thawheed (Thowheedh) Jamma’ath (UTJ)
2. Ceylon Thawheed (Thowheedh) Jamma’ath (CTJ)
3. Sri Lanka Thawheed (Thowheedh) Jamma’ath (SLTJ)
4. All Ceylon Thawheed (Thowheedh) Jamma’ath (ACTJ)
5. Jamiyathul Ansaari Sunnathul Mohomadiya (JASM) alias Jamma’ath Ansaaris Sunnathil Mohomadiya
Organization alias All Ceylon Jam-E- Athu Ansaris Sunnathil Mohammadiya alias Ansaris Sunnathil
Mohammadiya Association alias Jama’ath Ansaris Sunnathil Mohammadiya
6. Dharul Adhar alias Jamiul Athar Mosque alias Dharul Athar Quran Madrasa alias Dharul Aadhaar Ath’thabawiyya
7. Sri Lanka Islamic Student Movement (SLISM) alias Jamia
8. Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) alias Al - Dawlah al - Islamiah Dawla Islamia
9. AL - Qaeda
10. Save the Pearls alias Save the Pearl Society
11. Super Muslim
A person shall not, within or outside Sri Lanka-
(a) be a member or cadre of;
(b) provide leadership to;
(c) wear, display, hoist or possess the uniform, dress, symbol, emblem, or flag of;
(d) summon, convene, conduct or take part in a meeting of;
(e) obtain membership or join;
(f) harbour, conceal, assist a member, cadre or any other associate of;
(g) promote, encourage, support, advice, assist, act on behalf of;
(h) organize or take part in any activity or event of;
(i) donate or contribute money or material to;
(j) procure, store, transport, possess or distribute material for or of;
(k) espouse the cause of or represent;
(l) engage in any transaction with; or
(m) cause the dissemination of information on behalf of any organization listed above.