Several proposals for upgrading sports schools and sports scholarships in the country have been approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
These initiatives include an increase in sports schools, the improvement of sports school facilities, as well as an increase in nutrition allowances for sports scholarships and other allowances.
In 1989, steps were taken to inaugurate sports schools in all of the districts serving each island district.
The Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Sports have jointly planned a program in order to incorporate the idea more productively.
Accordingly, the cabinet of ministers has approved the following consolidated resolutions submitted by the Minister of Education along with the Minister of Youth and Sports.
- Development of infrastructure facilities in 26 existing sports schools.
- Development of the following schools as special sports schools.
- Inauguration and development of a new bi-lingual national school named ‘Cricket Sports School’ within the premises of Sooriyawewa International Cricket Stadium and enroll students to grade six (6) from the year 2021.
- Development of Pelwatte Navodya School as an athletic/volleyball sports school
- Development of Mahinda Rajapaksha Vidyalaya, Pitipana for athletic games
- Development of Murunkan Maha Vidyalaya, Mannar for football/athletic games.
– Construction of new school hostels in the sport schools and development of the existing hostels
– Increase of sports scholarships and other allowances to suit the current requirements